Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

2nd Grade Bruce in Tears

Throughout the 1971-72 school year, 2nd grade for me, my best friend Scott McGrill was in my ear about how wonderful it is to be a Cardinals fan. Bear in mind, we lived in Chicagoland, and WGN and the Cubs was all I knew before. Scott introduced me to baseball history, and showed me the numerous World Series titles the Redbirds had won compared to the Cubs. I made the fateful decision then to switch loyalties. A decision I have held onto ever since. Thus, a series like this would have left me crying for sure.

May 18, 1972
ST. LOUIS -- Al Santorini (1-1) pitched the full 9, scattering 5 hits in a 4-1 Cardinals win. Lou Brock had 3 hits and Joe Hague knocked in a pair. Milt Pappas (4-3) took the loss for the Cubs.

May 19, 1972
ST. LOUIS -- Billy Williams (10) stroked his league-leading 10th HR of the year in the T13th off Dennis Higgins (0-1) with 2 men on to power the Cubs to a 5-3 win. Fergie Jenkins (5-1) marathoned 12 innings to get the win. Jack Aker (1) was shaky in relief, but got the save.

May 20, 1972
ST. LOUIS -- Billy Williams led the charge again for the Cubbies, going 4-5 with a pair of RBI. Carmen Fanzone knocked in 3 also as Chicago won the Saturday matinee 8-2. Burt Hooten (5-1) knuckle-curved his way through 7 strong innings for the win. Bob Gibson (5-3) was tagged with 11 hits, two by Hooten, and the L.

May 21, 1972
ST. LOUIS -- Bill Hands (3-0) fired a CG 4-hitter as Chicago captured the series with a convincing 10-2 victory. The Cubs banged out 12 hits, including 2 from Glenn Beckert, who extended his hitting streak to 14. Fanzone drove in 3 more runs with 2 hits. Rick Wise (4-2) was hit hard in the loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment