Blog Archive

Monday, February 11, 2013

Jays home opener weekend - a historic first!

The Jays opened their first homestand of the season with a 8 to 2 blasting of the Tigers.  A bat-around 5 run 4th inning caused the majority of the damage.  Jerry Garvin pitched 7 strong innings.  Tom Murphy came in for relief and almost held down the shutout - until Rusty Staub and Jason Thompson hit back-to-back home runs with 2 outs in the 9th.

Coming recently off my 8th birthday, my dad got me tickets for the Saturday contest.  This was the first ever baseball game I attended in my life and what a thrill it was!  However, much like in the real world, this game mirrored the end result of what I saw.  The Tigers pounded out 16 hits en route to a 6-2 victory (When I went, the score was 6-3).  Rodriquez went 4 for 5 with 3 RBIs.

The series concluded with the closest game of the three.  Jays led the game 2-0 heading into the 8th. Jim Clancy pitched effectively, but gave the ball to Willis after surrendering a couple of hits.  Willis proved ineffective and the Tigers capitalized on this and score 3 runs.  Dave Rozema went the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment